Cycle
One: The Culture of Childhood
Playtime:
I
grew up in the 90’s and playtime with my older brother, Paul, or with my
friends was centered on imagination and creativity. For example, one Christmas
Paul and I were gifted roller-blades and spent the winter creating rollerblading
obstacle courses throughout our parents’ unfinished basement. We used whatever
was available to us to construct courses: rolls of carpet, paint cans, buckets,
boxes, you name it. We then challenged each other to race, competing for record
times and the pride of winning. In our haste it was not uncommon to take hard
falls on the cement and wind up with bruises, scrapes or cuts, but we never
thought twice about it and we never saw our parents running down the stairs to
chaperon this playtime. While reading about the nontraditional parks for
children in North Wales where kids find entertainment with items such as old
tires and wood, I happily reflected on my days of jumping over a stack of
newspapers with my roller-blades on. In addition to my skating days, my friends
and I built tree forts and hosted picnics with imaginary food on a large flat
rock in the woods behind our house. We also played with Barbie’s or Polly
Pockets and conjured up a theme for the day’s “episode,” developing unique story-lines for each doll. So, even where toys or other gadgets were involved,
it was up to our minds and creativity to make these things fun.
Now,
we are living in a world of technology, and many children I know spend a lot of
time in front of screens. Children as young as toddlers are often reaching for
their parents’ cell phones or iPads, requesting to watch a video or play a
game. I am not familiar enough with phone or iPad applications designed for preschoolers
to know the extent to which they foster creativity and the use of imagination, however
I would venture to guess those opportunities do exist. Outside of screen time, I
see a large push for today’s preschoolers’ playtime to involve learning a
second language, developing literacy skills before entering school, and participating
in organized sports starting as early as age three. As a result, I cannot claim
that my version of play as a child was more beneficial to my development or
more physically engaging than the kids of today, but I do know mine was much
less supervised, less structured and less academic.
Parents and Schools:
As
a high school teacher and as a friend to people with small children, I have
noticed a difference in parents today and their relationship with teachers and
school curricula. When I was in school, if a child misbehaved the punishment
the teacher decided upon was not up for negotiation. That is to say, parents supported
the decision of the teacher. The same was true for academics. It would have
been strange to hear the parents of my classmates inquiring about how a teacher
planned to reach certain curricular goals or content standards. Yet, these are
conversations I have each year at our Parent Open House and parent-teacher
conferences. Often, concern over academia begins before the child enters school
and conversations about learning take place with daycare providers or other
childcare facilities. This is akin to what we read about China’s evolution in
preschools between 1985 and 2002. The authors write, “Now the parent-teacher
relationship has fundamentally changed: parents are becoming customers” (Tobin
et al, 2009, p. 40). I have found this to be especially true since I began
teaching honors students, as their parents are very involved with their children’s
academic success and outcomes. I do worry that serving parents as customers has
allowed students to miss opportunities to advocate for themselves and to learn
how to face their own challenges as they progress toward high school and
graduation.
Culture
in the Classroom:
While
reflecting on this week’s readings I am most struck by the idea of teaching
culture in the classroom and how its importance is viewed differently by schools
and the families they serve in the study of Alhambra Preschool in Phoenix
(Tobin et al, 2009). The comment I found particularly noteworthy read, “More
concerned about their children learning English than about the possible loss of
their Spanish or their Mexican identity or cultural patrimony, most of the
Hispanic parents at Alhambra, unlike progressive American early childhood education
scholar, are not strong proponents of bilingual or multicultural education”
(Tobin et al, 2009, p. 217). Perhaps the parents consider themselves their
children’s guide to their home culture and the school a place where they learn
aspects of American culture. Whatever the case, this sentiment from the
Alhambra parents and other immigrant parents contrasts with our push for
multicultural education in American classrooms and immersion programs and
schools. I would like to know more about this from people who work in contexts
that are similar to what is described here. Have you found that parents push
English over their home language in an academic setting? Or, have you found the
parents to be concerned about the preservation of their culture and its appropriate
representation in schools?
References:
Joseph Tobin, Yeh Hsueh, &
Mayumi Karasawa. (2009). Preschool in
Three Cultures Revisited: China, Japan, and the United States. Chicago: The
University of Chicago Press.
Sharing:
This article speaks to my
concern of parents over-advocating for their children and teachers adhering to
parental demands in order to best serve them as customers. According to this
article, this problem can persist into graduate school admissions.
This link provides a
summary of Tobin’s study, highlighting the fact that culture is what makes the
largest difference between preschools across the world. He provides guiding
questions to consider and video links that showcase the classrooms visited in
the study.
This article advocates
for strategic socioeconomic integration in schools. In my community,
integrating differentiated socioeconomic status would result in the integration of
a wide variety of cultures in our schools. This had me thinking, again,
about the concept of culture and how socioeconomic status adds a new element to
understanding and navigating culture.
Hi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your post and welcome to our course!
I really enjoyed your thoughts. They are wide ranging. I was impressed with how careful you were when contrasting your own childhood with those of kids today. Along with every other parent, I struggle with screen time with my kids. It makes me long for the days of TV, which at least felt social. Instead, I have days where everyone is playing or watching something different--on my phone, my wife's phone, or the iPad. My older sons only ever watched videos on our devices, but then on a car trip through California, my wife's friend introduced my middle son to Angry Birds. Are life has changed ever since! Now my 2-year-old daughter has an app that she likes to play on my phone. It's not bad--counting, matching, looking for patterns. But the crazy thing is she can actually do it!
I'm like you--I don't think it's necessarily bad. I'm sure in some ways it's good. But I sure don't want them to lose sight of the joy of playing outside, of building with blocks or playing with dolls, of playing 20 questions in the car, or something like that.
I do think that devices feel "safe" for many parents. It's inside, the kids are right there, and they are quiet. In an age where parents are worried about their kids playing unsupervised, these devices fill a natural fear in our culture. That is what worries me.
The idea that parents are not customers is a bit scary, but it's the new reality, I suppose. It's good that parents are empowered--I mean, it makes sense that some parents are going to want their kids to learn English in school!--but the relationship has to be built on care and concern for the common good, not just "how can my kid get ahead in the world?" Personally, I think the whole teacher-parent relationship needs rethinking (shameful plug for my new book if you want to check it out:)).
We want conflicting things for our kids--independence and social bonding, manners and spunk, health in mind and body. That has never changed, I suppose. The question is how we use our current social patterns to cultivate those things in our kids!
Great post! I look forward to reading more,
Kyle