Hello, TE 822! My name is Stephanie Furlow, a Michigan
native who now lives and works in Omaha, Nebraska. Long before arriving in the
Cornhusker state, I was raised in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula in a small town
called Iron Mountain. After high school, I moved to East Lansing where I earned
my undergraduate degree from Michigan State with a major in English and a minor
in Spanish. I continued my studies at MSU for one year post-graduation in order
to student teach and obtain my secondary level teaching certification. My job search then led me to Indianapolis, Indiana where I taught both
Spanish and English for one year at a large suburban high school. Next, I moved
north to West Lafayette and taught middle and high school Spanish for three
years. In 2013, I was hired by an International Baccalaureate high school here
in Omaha where I have enjoyed teaching Spanish in their Honors program for the
last three years.
Outside of teaching I enjoy reading, traveling, golfing,
working out, trying new restaurants, and walking my German Shepard, Ryka. Perhaps
it is a little known fact, but Omaha is a great city where the music, business
and restaurant scenes are really thriving. Additionally, we are lucky enough to
host large sporting events like the College World Series or the recent Olympic
Swim Trials. I have really enjoyed getting to know all that
Omaha has to offer.
Many years ago, before becoming a teacher, I saw the 1967 movie
titled To Sir, With Love starring
Sidney Portier. However, it was not until watching it a second time early in my career that I was especially tuned into its
portrayal of the correlation between student-teacher rapport and meaningful teaching and
learning. When I was first hired to teach in Indianapolis, the principal of my
high school encouraged his staff to bear in mind what he called the three Rs of
education: Rapport, Respect and Rigor. He believed that once positive rapport between
the teacher and her students is established, then respect will naturally
transpire. Further, it is only once rapport and respect are in place that teachers
can most successfully take the curriculum to new heights and develop a most prosperous
learning community. I know that I have found this to be true, and so did Sidney
Portier’s character, Mr. Thackeray, in the film. At the beginning of his
teaching career, Mr. Thackeray’s days were spent policing his students while unsuccessfully implementing lecture-based
instruction. It was not until Mr. Thackeray created opportunities to learn about his students and for his students to get to know him that he began to earn his students’
respect. At that point, he did away with sit-and-get instruction and instead
offered choices in their learning material, developed hands-on classroom
experiences, and took the class on a field trip. In many ways, Mr. Thackeray’s
lessons were responsive to his students’ needs and, as a result, he became a more
flexible and engaging teacher.
Both socioeconomic and racial tensions are presented
in this film, and both are addressed by Sidney Portier’s character. But again,
it was only with the foundation of rapport and respect that these issues could be effectively addressed in his classroom. Because his students came from poverty,
Mr. Thackeray related to his students about his
own experience with poverty. Additionally, he addressed cultural differences
through the lens of his own African culture, which was different from the
majority of his British pupils.
As I have encountered challenging students or have
struggled to connect students to aspects of my Spanish curriculum, I often reflect
on the journey of Mr. Thackeray along with the three Rs of education. What I
find most interesting is how these principles were presented in a movie made in
1967 and are still incredibly valuable in classrooms today.
Stephanie
Hi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your introduction! What an interesting journey you have been on, from the UP to Omaha. I bet it is an interesting city, too. I'm glad you are enjoying all it has to offer!
I really liked your analysis of To Sir, With Love. This is a really famous movie about teaching--perhaps the most famous--and one to really think about it. I think you do a nice job of unpacking the continuing relevance of the film. It's probably one of the earlier document to really help us show how relationship-building is a pedagogical strategy that can really open up learning opportunities for students.
I look forward to learning with you in this course!
Kyle